- Williamson, C. (2017) People Management. In Security to go: a risk management toolkit for humanitarian aid agencies. European Interagency Security Forum (EISF).
- Tearfund, an international NGO, provides resources for local organisations working in development in their international learning zone (TILZ) . The HR Management Guide (Roots 12) is a useful tool for managers particularly where there is no HR expertise based in country, and available in different languages:
- Williamson, C. Colvin, G. & McDonald, A. (2008). Roots 12: Human Resource Management Guide (English), (French), (Spanish). Tearfund.
- CHS Alliance, a network organisation committed to improving humanitarian and development work through the application of standards – CHS Alliance.
- Cigna – offering global health care solutions to NGOs – NGO Health Benefits & Newsletters
- Core Humanitarian Standards, part of CHS Alliance, which sets out Nine Commitments that organisations and individuals involved in humanitarian response can use to improve the quality and effectiveness of the assistance they provide – Core Humanitarian Standard.
- The European Interagency Security Forum is an independent network of Security Focal Points who represent European-based humanitarian NGOs operating internationally– EISF.
- The Humanitarian Practice Network (part of the Overseas Development Institute – ODI) provides an independent forum for policy-makers, practitioners and others working in or on the humanitarian sector to share and disseminate information, analysis and experience, and to learn from it.
Blogs & top tips
Journals & authors
- The Importance of HR Management in Supporting Staff Working in Hazardous Environments, also known as The Management of Employee Risk in Humanitarian Aid and Security Sectors (Darby, Williamson 2012).
- The Role of HRM and how to improve the role in Risk Management (Williamson, 2010; Akingbola, 2006; Darby, 2000; O’Sullivan, 2010; Guest and Conway, 2000; 2001; Barney, 1991, Wright et al, 1994; Lepak & Snell, 1999, 2002).